Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Traffic Violations

I got my first ticket. At 32, I received my first traffic ticket. For speeding, no. For allowing A to jump in the front seat unrestrained, no. For "running" a stop sign, yes.

My local police, out cleaning up crime, was hiding at the bottom of a hill with a birdseye view of a three-way stop, where he could catch us S.U.V. suburban stay-at-home moms trying to get home quickly, but safely with our napping toddlers before we missed that critical window of opportunity that allows us to get them into the crib without waking them up, thus giving us the valuable free-time required for cleaning, laundry, and sanity. When I think hardened law-breaking criminals, I think stay-at-home mommy.

Apparently, when I came to the stop sign with absolutely no traffic on the road, I made a snap-decision to turn instead of go straight. I really thought I had come to a complete stop before turning. I drove right by the motorcycle cop without thinking that I had done anything wrong. Did I stop and count to, I don't know, ten. No, but I did stop the vehicle from moving for a brief moment. So, imagine my surprise when he turns around to pull me over. Napping A , loud, very scary, sarcastic, kind of mean, tattooed policeman, flustered mom. I tried to keep my voice down so A wouldn't hear her mommy and wake up, so I didn't say much to the officer, and no I didn't cry or try to get out of it. But, really, how about a warning?! A, "be more careful maam, and let's come to a complete stop for a few seconds next time." No, I got a "you ran a stop sign didn't you?" Despite my desire to say, "no, I didn't, and do you have to be so mean," I instead politely hand him my license and insurance and sit quietly while he "writes me up." $133. Do you know how many Elmo DVD's or diapers that would buy!!!!??

Am I mad because the officer was doing his job? Despite the HEAVY sarcasm above, no. I'm mad at myself for "breaking" the traffic laws. I really try to abide by all laws, even traffic laws. I usually drive the speed limit or just a few miles above. But, I guess I'm not trying hard enough, so if you're behind me at a stop sign, just be prepared for a truly exaggerated stop! And yes, I'll be the "granny" driver in the silver SUV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the city's gotta make some dough, somehow.

Challenge it. If the cop doesn't show up to court, you automatically get off.

Of course, if he does, you may have to pay court costs...

Southern Cheesehead said...

sorry...been there done that! These officers must not have small children...if they do or have then they don't deal with them as much as mommy!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.