Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Faith Matters

Easter evening, after putting A to bed, T and I were flipping through the channels on television trying to find something to watch. Baseball had not started and there was no basketball being played, so we were at a loss to find anything for our viewing pleasure. T landed on Fox news, where Sean Hannity was hosting a special on Mysteries of Faith, so we watched for a little while. One of the segments was "first-hand" accounts of heaven and hell, both quite compelling, but the hell was especially horrifying and disturbing, and as we watched I got the sinking feeling that people I love could possibly be on the path to hell. I know, wow, heavy, but it's true, and I have not been able to really shake that feeling, since.

I guess that's why I felt compelled to blog about it, to get it off my mind and onto paper. Since Anna has hit the terrific, yet sometimes overwhelming, and I'll admit, every now and again, terrible twos, I've been doing a lot of self-examination as a parent, and I've been thinking about what my most important responsibility is as a parent, and that's easy. My number one desire for my daughter is eternal salvation, and T and I are doing all that we can to lead her on the path to Christ. I think examining yourself as a parent also causes you to examine your own self and your own faith and beliefs and then to say, "Am I living my faith in a way that proves to my daughter that I believe it?" In a world where truth seems relative and spiritual gurus and Oprah try to tell us that there are many paths to God and eternity, the truth is there is one, and it is my job to be sure that A knows that. John 14:6 states that "I (Jesus) am the way and the truth and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." It is pretty clear-cut, and it is an easy truth to teach A, as her parents.

But what about the other people I love, who I fear are lost. Why is it so difficult to share a faith that is so wonderful, a truth that is so abounding in love and eternal bliss? I don't have the answer except to say that, shamefully, I guess I'm afraid of what other people will think. My husband and I serve our church and share our faith with youth and young adults, but witnessing to the willing isn't difficult. It's those who don't know or refuse to hear that I worry about. So that is why I am sharing it now in the medium that I know best. There is a wonderful gift that God has given us and that is salvation through his son Jesus Christ. Just attending church and acknowledging God's existence won't secure it. Being baptized as a baby, yet never confirming that act isn't enough. You must understand that you are a sinner. Romans tell us that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. You must then believe that Jesus is the son of God. Salvation is an act of faith. You must then confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and through prayer invite Him to forgive your sins and into your heart. Then live your life for Him. Simple, but powerful, and I believe the best decision you'll ever make.

Resources for questions:

http://www.family.org/
http://www.lproof.org/

No comments: