Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Sentence Off the Old Paragraph....or something like that

Once a quarter, I entered my elementary school with a little extra bounce in my step because I knew that day was the big day....the day I waited eagerly for all fall, winter, or spring. The day my teacher handed out the Scholastic Book order forms. The only other days that could fill my heart with such glee were Library Day and Book Fair Day. My small hands would eagerly grasp the newsprint flier, where I would hug it close to my chest before poring over each choice, each possibility. I would then carefully select two or three books, whatever my parents would allow, then I would hand my order into the teacher, counting the days until my new books arrived. No, I'm not kidding.

When my daughter brought home her first Scholastic order form just days ago, memories came pouring back, and I saw my younger self in her excited eyes. "Mommy, look."

"Oh, Pumpkin, we can order books."
"I want that one, Mommy," is her reply. Oh, look at that, she already has one picked out. She points to a book with a large bus on the cover. "And that one, Mommy, Clifford."

"Let's see," I say, wanting to see how much the books cost. "You can pick out three books, okay." I mean, it is the first time for her to experience the Scholastic Book form, the latest titles at reduced rates. I love you, Scholastic people.

A studies the order form intently, excitedly calling out all the possibilities. I explain that she'll get these forms several times a year, and each time we can maybe order at least one book. She finalizes her selection, and I fill out the form and write a check. I realize this is one of those exciting parenting moments I've looked forward to sharing with my daughter: her taking a real interest in something I remember doing as a child. And her love of reading, just like her mom, will be a bond we can always share. Just wait until I tell my little bookworm about library day and the book fair. Hmmm...is C at the age now where I started reading to A?







No comments: