Monday, April 28, 2008

Christmas Surprise

"A !" I scream running down the stairs, my legs rubbery and unsteady. "Come on, we've got to run a quick errand."

I load A into the car, jump in the driver's seat, and sit there, a bit shaky. "Is it really possible? And so quickly?" I put the car in reverse and head to Rite-Aid.

Allow me to back up for a moment.

My fingers have been numb and tingly, feet, too, so I schedule an appointment with my neurologist, who wanted to do an MRI. He assures me that he isn't concerned and this is just a precaution. A few days later I call the nurse to ask if you could have an MRI while expecting.
"I don't think it's likely, but possible, barely possible." I tell her.
"I'll just need you to take a pregnancy test the Friday before the MRI to make sure," she says.

So, the Friday before, the scheduled-MRI I grab a test left from back when we were trying for A. The instructions say plus-pregnant, minus-not. Simple enough. Once the time is up, I check the test. A faint, pink line is crossing a bold fuschia line. Faint, that's how I am feeling right now. Is that a plus, or not? Maybe it's a mark on the test because it is so old. I use another test. The same faint pink line appears. That is when I grab A and head for the drug store. I need to be 100% certain, which for me apparently means it needs to actually show the word pregnant on the test stick.

A and I rush into Rite-Aid like a whirlwind. I run to the test, grab the one that is the most idiot-proof, and race home, okay, more like drive the speed limit home while my stomach churns uncontrollaby. Is it nerves or do I suddenly have morning sickness?

Once home, I bound upstairs, slipping a few times, take the test and nervously wait the three hours, really, minutes, it takes to show up. And there it is, the word PREGNANT, just like that in all caps. I'm pregnant. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, so I do both. A walks into the bathroom, bewildered at her hysterical laughing, crying mommy. I pick her up, carry her to the bedroom, and just sit there kissing her head and rocking her, not sure how to feel, yet. Two years and two months of just A and Mom all day, two peas in a pod, and for some reason, I feel like to be elated would be cheating on her.

Of course, I am thrilled to be expecting. Travis and I talked about it and both agree A needs a sister or brother, but wow, it all seems to be happening so fast. I didn't expect to be taking positive pregnancy tests until July or August, but here it is, a blessing beyond measure, and I sit crying, tears gently rolling down my cheeks onto my confused daughter's golden hair. "Mommy's okay, baby, just emotional."

I dry my eyes and call T. "Hey, I have news." I can't tell him over the phone.
"What?" he asks.
"You'll find out soon enough."

I look at A. "How can we tell Daddy creatively?" I feel myself getting excited. I jump on the computer and try to find out how to calculate the due date. December 21st. "We need a Christmas theme." I decide to wrap the news in Christmas paper and wait for Travis's confused look. He finally gets home from work and opens his gift. "What's this?" he asks. "Merry Christmas!" I shout. "We're getting a December visit from the stork." I embrace my husband and find myself feeling a twinge of excitement. I am going to have another baby and this time A gets to come along for the ride. I'll continue to let you know how that goes.

4 comments:

Southern Cheesehead said...

Congrats! Let me be the first to tell you that it's a big jump from 1 to 2...going to man to man, but it's well worth it! We made sure that we're not going to zone though!

Jimmy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie Hughes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.