Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memory Lapse

I was in labor for 13 hours with A , so I know that I've been pregnant before. Yet, for some reason, I seemed to have blocked all memories of pregnancy from my mind. I'm beginning to see why.

I had forgotten how the scents of coffee, ice cream (yes, ice cream has a scent), and cut grass made my stomach churn. Although cloudy, I do vaguely recall being too exhausted to cook, clean, workout, or even get out of bed. And did I mention the 24 hour a day nausea. I apparently blocked that memory, as well. Add to the mix an energetic toddler, and I am literally walking around in a foggy haze. I have to write down when I take my vitamin, so I don't take it twice. How sad is that!

It appears that all I do have the energy to do is eat. Was I this ravenous with A ? My fifty pound first pregnancy weight gain should answer that question. I am trying to be good and pry myself off the couch for runs and spin, but wow, it is hard to ignore the hunger pangs. And while I'm sure an apple or grapes would suffice, for some reason it must be barbecue or hamburgers. My body will accept nothing less. Sorry, Dr. , it looks like you might be getting on to me again this time about the weight gain. I did lose it last time, though.

Right now, my clothes are becoming snug, but I'm still not showing. The casual observer might assume that I'm just adding a few pounds, most of which have gone to my belly. I really want to pull out stretchy waistbands, but I don't think it is time, just yet. Ahh, the first trimester.

And while I have blocked much of the first pregnancy discomforts from my mind, I do remember why it is the most wonderful experience. The second trimester does get better, less nausea, more energy. How often does your body get to experience a true miracle? And, at the end of that nine month body-altering adventure, God blesses you with the most wonderul little person you ever imagined, and that makes every pound, every minute of nausea, every second of exhaustion worth it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I just saw that you left a comment on one of my blogs (you found me through LPM)!! I must not have my settings done correctly, because I don't know when I've received a comment!
Thank you for commenting and HI!

Southern Cheesehead said...

Oh...quit worrying and enjoy it! LOL