Sunday, July 22, 2012

Step One

I've heard it said, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  I'm assuming this applies to figurative, not literal journeys, as well.  To the "journey" of let's say homeschooling, more specifically and immediately the choosing of a curriculum.  The speaker, it seems, is trying to assuage any sense of panic felt by the traveler about to embark upon a long, overwhelming journey, one like, let's say, choosing the right curriculum for your dear first grader.  It appears the traveler for whom this advice was written knew, at least, which path to take.  The thousand miles were a straight shot toward a specific destination.  He didn't even mention needing a map; just put one foot in front of the other and keep walking toward the definitive destination.  Hmmm....my journey doesn't seem to have a clear path and therein lies the dilemma.

 I'd like to pick this wise sojourner's brain to see if he had any advice for what to do when the direction in which to take that single step is rather ambiguous.  If the decision to homeschool Anna were a difficult one, the choice of which curriculum to use and how to approach homeschooling is herculean.  It's like I'm standing on a circle, ready to set out on my homeschooling journey, and with each slight turn around the circle a possible path lies before me. No step is necessarily one in the wrong direction; they are all good paths, but which one is the best, if there even is a best, or like the past 70 NCAA College Football Champions, is this, too, a mythical title.  I'm the kind of girl who likes simplicity.  I get so overwhelmed by the 20 page menus at Cheesecake Factory and TGIFriday's that I avoid both eateries.  I prefer the one page menu that offers three appetizer choices, three entree choices, and three dessert choices, so you can imagine my apprehension as I memorize each detail of Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum in a desperate attempt to find the one perfect curriculum for my A.  As a professional educator, I'm baffled and breathing a huge sigh of relief that I was never chosen to be on a textbook committee.

Of course, I'm not lamenting the freedom of choice nor the plethora of choice.  That's one of the attributes that attracted me to homeschooling in the first place.  As someone who, when teaching, couldn't find the ideal writing curriculum, just created my own, I wasn't ready for the numerous, viable options in homeschool curriculum.  And, since first grade phonics and math are out of my comfort zone, perhaps I don't feel overly confident in choosing or creating the right curriculum.  I, after all, specialize in middle and high school reading and writing instruction.  Since Cathy's done such a great job of narrowing my choices to the top 100, I could just write my options on strips of paper and draw them from a hat, or I could flip a coin, or maybe, I could create a bracket, but what would the playoff criteria be.  Oh, it's too much. 

I'm leaning toward choosing one based on the best title. Take, for instance, Happy Phonics.  How could you go wrong with this phonics program, which according to Duffy, works well with Explode the Code, another catchy title?  Maybe, she could write another book titled, Choosing Curriculum Without Exploding Your Brain.  Those are just the phonics options; I have yet to study math.  As in most choices I make, I realize I am most likely overanalyzing this one, as well, especially since the few selections I am seriously considering have come highly recommended. 

While this process is overwhelming, it is also exciting.  I have the opportunity to carefully analyze my daughter and son's learning styles and pair them with a curriculum that best fits the particular nuances of each of my children's own educational dispositions.  Because I know them better than anyone, and I understand learning and education, I relish the opportunity to create a learning plan that fits my children's unique personalities.  How exciting!  That possibility eclipses any apprehension about finding a mythical, one-size-fits-all curriculum, which is one reason we left traditional schooling in the first place. So, as I pray about finding the curriculum that is right for my children, I will trust the Holy Spirit to lead me to the path that best fits our family, just like He led us through the first fork in the road and put us on the offbeaten path to homeschooling.  I will confidently take the next step and continue to place one foot in front of the other, trusting God's guidance on this journey, which may mean I forge a completely new path!

No comments: