Saturday, August 9, 2008

Nesting

Apparently, I have entered the phase of pregnancy known as nesting. Since I'm not quite a bird (as evidenced by my growing appetite), I have been referring to this portion as the "Everything Must Go" phase. And I mean everything, from tupperware to weeds to picture frames to clothing. It all seems to be getting on my nerves. If the only light of day an item has seen is when a tiny ray escapes into the open closet door then it must go. (My mother just gasped in horror.)

I'm actually enjoying the nesting part. It has really motivated me to clean, clean, clean and simplify, simplify, simplify, and apparently speak in threes. My poor unwitting husband, whose injury kept us homebound instead of Belgium-bound (more on that later) has become an innocent victim forced by his horomonal wife to wield a screwdriver and hammer on a weekend when he should be biking and running. My daughter, though, is delighted to see what treasures make their way into the floor. It seems that adding another member to the family forces you to actually make a little space for that person.

It is all a transition from cluttered to clutter-free, from baby A to big girl A, from mom of one to mom of two. I sigh as I prepare to move the crib to the new nursery and replace it with a "big-girl" bed. Before the new baby arrives, A's room will be transformed, hopefully "pappy" will be forgotten, and my toddler will be using the potty instead of diapers. Our lives changed so much when A came, in wonderful ways words can't express, and now that we've found our groove and things seem "normal", baby number 2 is coming to change our lives, once again in more wonderful ways. Nothing prepared us for the changes A would bring, and I'm sure we will never truly be prepared for this next phase. At least the house will be all cleaned out and ready.

No comments: