Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Homework Humor

I had just put A down for her nap and settled into my bible study homework. I am studying Kelly Minter's No Other Gods and was reading the following phrase from the Introduction! of chapter 2:

Even when you have grandiose plans, spiritual plans....things can unexpectedly turn....because there will always be a million nagging tugs on our time and attention, and somewhere in the middle of all the tugging it is essential we build a fortress wherein only God, His words, and our heart exist together for a time. It cannot happen accidentally. (34)

When I heard loudly from the next room, "Puppies! Puppies!" (my daughter's beloved stuffed bunny).

I ignored the whimpering and tried to focus on the words I was reading.

"Puppies! Juice, Mama, Juuuuiiiiccee...!"

Again, I ignored her. Eventually, she'll settle down and sleep.

"Mama? Mama? Juice! Juice!" The cries grew louder. Remembering we'd been out in 97 degree heat just minutes earlier, I dog-eared my page and ran downstairs to get her water. I walked in her room, retrieved Puppies from where she'd been tossed in the floor, and watched A guzzle a large amount of water.

"White pappy," she whined.

"You've already got blue pappy, now night-night."

"Whiiiiite pappy!"

I gave her the white pacifier and rocked her to sleep. After placing her in her crib, asleep, I returned to start chapter 2 of my study. Determined to at least get through the first page.

1 comment:

Myriam said...

Hi
I read your comment on the 'Siesta for Him' Bible study forum and thought how much your study was a case-in-point. Lesson went well (if you made it through) to show its truthfulness.
Blessings!