Monday, June 16, 2008

Articles for Second Time Moms

I am a voracious reader. Absolutely love to read. If there's nothing new to read, I will find myself reading the cereal box or even the back of an Elmo DVD. While I enjoy reading for leisure, most of my reading is to learn more about a topic of interest. Lately, that topic has been pregnancy.

With my first pregnancy, I read everything I could get my hands on, but since I've forgotten most of what I've learned, I find myself re-reading many of the books I bought during my first pregnancy, especially those on fitness. What I've discovered, though, is that most books and magazines target the first-time mom, leaving those of us on our second pregnancy with little new information. "What could possibly be different about the second pregnancy than the first?" you might be asking. Where do I start? For one, you are balancing the needs of pregnancy with caring for a feisty, curious, endlessly energetic toddler. Since authors of pregnancy information seem to be at a loss for what to write to second-time moms, I have a few suggestions for some possible articles.

1. How to chase your toddler up the down escalator without allowing your newly burgeoning "bump" to knock you off balance, catch your toddler with one hand, and gracefully exit the escalator without falling, toddler in tow.

2. How to keep your 2-year-old from riding her tricycle into oncoming traffic, running into oncoming traffic, jumping into the deep end of the pool, etc. without going into labor.

3. The best way to sneak your utterly exhausted pregnant body a nap while simultaneously exhibiting enthusiasm during the 400th viewing of "Sesame Street Sings Karaoke."

4. How to snuggle with your sweet toddler when she no longer fits onto your lap (and not because she's the one growing.)

5. How to explain to your two-year old that Mommy does not feel like nor can she physically manage to bend over and push you on your toddler car up and down the neighborhood street for hours.

6. Why calories eaten off your child's plate don't really count during pregnancy.

7. Why it's okay to feed your child chocolate and pizza for dinner three nights in-a-row because you no longer have the pre-pregnancy energy or brain power to construct an argument that makes everyone happy.

8. Bible-study for pregnant moms who want to spend their child's naptime sleeping, but know they desperately need to use it for prayer and devotion to maintain their own strength and sanity.

9. Yoga for two, make that three. Your toddler will always awaken from naptime about the time you get the yoga mat down.

10. Advice for Dads. How to make your pregnant toddler mommy's job a little easier. Suggestions include treating her to a day at the spa.

I'm sure there are more topics that need to be covered, but this would be a good start!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was that a day at the spa for dads so you can have more time for your toddler? I am sending your husband a gift certficate now.

Sandhya said...

Nice Article

Jennifer said...

I loved the 400th viewing of Elmo..ha ha That is too funny! I can't wait to see you!