Monday, October 1, 2007

"Upset" in the Swamp

Auburn flags have once again returned to car windows everywhere, flapping proudly in the breeze, as in the drivers' minds, thoughts of a season-salvaging comback are percolating. I hope they do not end up with a pot of disappointment, though. (Isn't it funny how quickly boos for Brandon and cries for Tuberville's job can change to congratulatory cheers?)

I was not surprised by Saturday night's victory over Florida. Shocking, I know, especially from someone who has been concerned by a team riddled with inconsistency. Why the lack of astonishment? Because when Florida is ranked, Auburn, it seems, always has their number. I did not doubt that the Tigers could handle Florida, even in "the Swamp." I realize that this is a different team from the one last year, and in 2001, and in 1994. The truth remains that Auburn has won four out of the five last games when Florida is ranked in the top four. Auburn's loss to USF and struggle against Kansas State also don't appear so dismal, considering both of those teams also toppled highly ranked teams this weekend.

That being said, Auburn does look like a team poised for a comeback, but questions still remain. Week-in and week-out, can Tuberville effectively utilize the two quarterback format? Will he have to, or has Brandon Cox again found his rhythm? Will the return of Lester continue to revitalize Auburn's offense? While I agree that Auburn looks to be slowly finding its way, I remain cautiously optimistic. Optimistic enough to return my own Auburn flag proudly to its place in the front yard.

1 comment:

Southern Cheesehead said...

Now, now...true fans should never be ashamed to display their flags in their yard for their respective teams! We've lost 2 in a row now, but I'm still loud and proud and not giving up hope.
I knew you guys would win - it was a great game...congrats!