Friday, October 26, 2007

Spin Revue

I don't know what it is, but I have a funny relationship with music as it relates to working out. I have discovered that this is especially true in spin. I don't know if you've ever taken a spin class, but it is easily the most difficult workout that I have ever attempted. You basically bike to music at high intensity without any rest period for sixty minutes. I have found that spin class is now ruining songs that I once really liked.

I first discovered this phenomenon in college when I was taking an aerobics class. The instructor always played "I Would Walk Five Hundred Miles." (Not that I had a particular affinity toward this song to begin with) I think that is the name of it. Was it the Pretenders or I can't remember who sings it, but he used that song for the most difficult part of the class, and whenever I would hear it outside of class, I immediately became winded.

In spin, during sprints, the instructors seem to enjoy playing REM's "End of the World." I like this song, something about Tommy Boy, but whenever I hear it, I picture David Spade and Chris Farley singing in the car, and I laugh. I think we can all relate to acting like we actually know the words to that one. Now when I hear it, my legs ache and I want to cry. I also like Nickelback's "Rockstar," but no, that now reminds me of horrible hill climbs. Something as innocent and fun as "It's Raining Men" is now a sprint song, as well. Songs I enjoy are slowly becoming painful reminders of pedaling to exhaustion.

Even the tunes that Anna and I listen to on Radio Disney aren't safe. I'll admit it. I like Corbin Bleu's "Push It to the Limit." You know, he's one of the kids from High School Musical. My spin instructor played that in class on Wednesday. Now instead of wanting to dance when I hear it, I'll have memories of sprints again. Don't get me wrong, I love spin for the challenge that it provides, but I don't want to be reminded of something that almost brings me to tears every time I participate.

Maybe this is why I listen to talk radio when I run. I can remember what segment was playing during certain runs and where I was on the trail during that segment. Seriously, when I was training for a half-marathon this spring, I remember that Andy Phillips was on the Rick and Bubba show and I was just passing Homewood High School in my run. I can also remember that Dunaway and Brown were doing their pick 3 when I was running by Brookwood Mall two weeks ago. It's weird, but, you usually only hear those segments one time.

The only type of music that is safe from being spoiled for me is cool down music. The instructors I have usually play praise and worship music for cooldown, which is perfect. For one, your finished with class, but it also reminds me that God gave me the physical ability and opportunity to participate in class and for that He deserves praise. It always leaves me wanting to do it again. Maybe as I become a better biker, the music will start to serve as a reminder of success. Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go listen to my High School musical soundtrack.....

No comments: