Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Birthday Wish

One week from today is my birthday.  I'll be 38.  Thirty-eight isn't an age that elicits a huge celebratory response, but nevertheless I love my birth date.  There's swimming, the release of blockbuster movies, lightning bugs, crickets, longer days, and a few days before, there's usually a big fireworks display to get people fired up for my big day; oh, wait, that's America's birthday, but how many of you can boast that you and America share the same birth month?

My hubby, best friend, and July birthday buddy
Thirty-eight, like 37, evokes more of an, "Oh, today's your 38th birthday.  Well, happy birthday."  Thirty-eight is twenty years past 18, two from 40.  From what I hear 40 is kind of a big deal.  I've been told it's when everything starts to fall apart, but if the aches and pains from spending two nights on a rickety, metal bunk bed at church camp with my daughter are any indication, I've apparently gotten a head start.  Like all birthdays, this birthday has evoked a myriad of emotions and reflection.  At 38, my skin isn't quite as glowing as it was even last year; my love handles are providing an even more ample gripping surface than before; my eyesight, well, let's say it rivals bats, but unfortunately, echolocation doesn't come with age.  Yet, this year, instead of counting wrinkles, I'm vowing to count blessings.

The Holy Spirit has taken me on quite a journey this past year.  One year ago on my birthday, I had no idea that God would lead me to two books, 7 and Interrupted; two books that would turn my world on its head and would rip the safe, comfortable rug of casual Christianity right out from under my complacent feet.  I can truly say that I enter 38 with a much different perspective than I began 37.  As I stand on the threshold of a new year, I'm eager to see how Christ continues to move me and to change me in the coming year.  Not one to travel alone, this year, I'm actually hoping to encourage a few of you to join me on the journey to living on mission.  I'm just getting started and have a long road ahead, but I promise if you come along, you'll never be the same.

God has opened my eyes to the plight of the poor this past year.  Books like 7, Half the Sky, and Radical have shed light on the immensely disproportionate gap between the haves and the have-nots in this world.  Both reveal the depths and devastation of abject poverty that exist around the globe, not just poverty of material need but also a poverty of spiritual well-being and hope.  While we think we may know poverty, consider that half the world lives on less than $2 a day with no safety net from their government.  There are billions of people dying without clean water, without adequate sustenance, and without Jesus.  In fact, someone dies of hunger every 16 seconds (Hatmaker). Back in December, the Holy Spirit gave me the idea of asking, not for gifts for Christmas but for donations.  Gifts is certainly not my love language, but I know it is the love language of many relatives and friends, so I decided not to rob them of the joy and instead put the idea away for my birthday seven months later.

Well, it is seven months later, and a few weeks ago, I excitedly asked my siblings to make donations to one of my favorite causes in lieu of gifts.  First of all, there is absolutely nothing that I truly need, and second, how awesome to know that in celebration of my birth, God is using my siblings' gifts to give hope and possibly, eternal life, to someone half-way across the globe.  I'm sharing this not for accolades or pats on the back.  I'm sharing this because I want all of us to consider this year on our birthday, or for a family member or friend's birthday, to relinquish a gift or two and request that your friends and family give to someone in need instead.  Notice, I didn't ask all of my family to replace my usual gift card request with a donation, but I chose my siblings because I felt comfortable asking them, they always ask me what I want, and I knew they would honor my request.  I also asked my mom for a gift card to an amazing company called Noonday that creates beautiful accessories and scarves, while providing women and men in impoverished villages a steady income (noondaycollection.com). You can even shop and help; is there a better combination?  Whatever we choose, together we can create a ripple that travels around the world and into the future and possibly, eternity.

Where can I give, you ask?  Well, because I'm the almost-birthday girl, I'm going to shamelessly plug a few of my favorites.  I would love for you to sponsor a child from Compassion or World Vision in honor of your birthday. I also love Matthew 28, which provides for orphans in Haiti.  A bonus:  I know one of the founders and can personally vouch for his deep love for Christ and for his fellow neighbor (www.matthew28.org). Another favorite is Samaritan's Purse (www.samaritanspurse.org).  Samaritan's Purse is unique in that it provides for hundreds of specific needs in hundreds of countries.  One of the struggles Christ has really shown me this past year is the plight of women in countries such as India and Cambodia, where young girls are often trafficked as slaves.  It truly is the most deplorable situation you can imagine, and women face it daily.  Twenty-seven million children and adults are currently trapped in slavery because of economic crisis, so I asked my siblings to give specifically to a program through Samaritan's Purse that provides a way out for these women, many of whom are still children (http://www.samaritanspurse.org/donation-items/children-in-crisis/).  You can also give to provide wells and fresh drinking water throughout Africa and Central America.  Samaritan's Purse also works with storm and fire victims right here in the United States.   What I love about all of the charities I've mentioned here is that they also provide the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ, who provides the only true hope to the hopeless.

I also like Kiva, which provides microfinancing to individuals in developing countries (www.kiva.org).  This allows individuals to create small businesses which support their families.  I cannot overestimate the potential these small loans have on not just the individuals receiving them but also the communities and even the countries where these individuals live.  I have invested in two companies in India, and the process is simple and as inexpensive as $25 per loan.  That goes a long way in Uganda, Haiti, and India.  The loans are eventually paid back, and you can cash out or use the money to provide another loan, so it's a low risk venture with remarkable benefits. Where else can you invest the cost of a week of Starbucks and absolutely change the lives of men and women in desperate situations?  These micro-loans can actually help eliminate some of the conditions that force individuals into slavery.  Imagine the impact and the doors opened to share Christ in the places receiving these loans. Imagine the hope you give to someone struggling to provide the most basic necessities for her children!

These are just a few ideas.  Donations tend to be down in summer because most of us give around Christmas.  Local shelters and ministries always need assistance.  Many of us probably know someone who is raising money for an adoption.  A local couple creates beautiful crosses and is selling them to raise adoption funds (http://jennyandbrooksadoptioncrosses.blogspot.com/).  I have several in my home and have also given them as gifts.  They even come in pink, as my daughter can attest.  Need exists everywhere; we need only slow down long enough to notice.  I say that to myself as much as I say it to you.  I had lived 37 years pursuing my own desires, rarely considering Matthew 25 or Isaiah 58.  Not that I ignored others; I was active in a church with a very mission-oriented vision, but I just didn't "get it," yet.  Praise God that I asked Him in prayer one day to break my heart for what breaks His.  My life hasn't been the same since.

So often, we're handed a beautifully wrapped scarf or pair of earrings, and for a moment, we're thrilled.  As time passes, the gift is added to the collection of scarves gathering dust and the drawer of earrings tarnishing among the tens of others.  Not to take away from the beauty of the gift or the intent but at some point, when is enough stuff enough stuff.  Imagine if our family and friends honored us on our birthdays by fulfilling Christ's call to help the least of these, while also following His command to fulfill the Great Commission.  We've already been given the perfect gift, Jesus, and He made the ultimate sacrifice that by faith and through His grace, we can have the most amazing gift of eternal life.  This year, I invite you to use your birthday as a starting point for creating a legacy that outlives your life.

No comments: