Thursday, January 17, 2013

Food for Thought

I spent the first week of 7 in a caffeine and sugar withdrawal-induced haze, which was just as enjoyable as it sounds.  The second week I emerged from the fog and discovered an energy surge that rivals Red Bull.  Today, my husband and I say good-bye to chicken, spinach, sweet potatoes, and eggs, at least for a little while. (Oh, eggs, I won't miss the way you stick to everything, leaving little flakes on the silverware long after the hot waters of the dishwasher have doused you to no avail.)  Today, I ate cantaloupe, blueberries, and oatmeal simmered in cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, and it was good.

Wait, come again?  Didn't you say thirty days?  Two weeks is just fourteen days.  Yes, yes, I'm aware.  I also said I would never leave my job and stay home with my children, that I would never live in the state of Alabama, and that I would never wear Toms (this was before I learned about the company and discovered they made adorable wedges), so there you go.  And, did I mention that Jen Hatmaker got paid for her thirty day experiment.  I know you're disappointed, but allow me to cease the snarkiness and explain.  This was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  My husband and I spent seven days ravenous, grumpy, and unpleasant (if you don't believe me ask anyone in my Sunday school class), and since we love each other and our children, we decided it would probably be best to shorten the food portion of our 7 fast to fourteen days.  Cheap attempt to ease my conscience:  the bible study only recommended seven days, so even Hatmaker foresaw the limitations of this style of fast.

Did I miss the point?  Was 14 days long enough to listen for God's voice over the din of the incessant  stomach growling and through the throbbing pain of my brain pounding out of my skull?  God speaks when we listen, and I truly sought to position myself to hear, so I'll share what I discovered through my 7 experiment with food.  First, I'll cover the shallow, surface-y physical lessons then I'll explore the spiritual lessons.

It would appear that caffeine is a drug, and I'm thinking about contacting the FDA about sugar, as well.  Hello, caffeine withdrawal....which I expected.  I did not expect to ache all over and wish for someone to knock me out until it all passed.  I have never struggled with a drug addiction, praise God, but I imagine my experience is similar to what someone going through detox might feel.  My body's response to dropping sugar and processed foods cold turkey is not what I expected.  I imagined it would throw me a party complete with endless energy, clear skin, and a ten pound weight loss.  Let's just say it welcomed me with a large glass of aches, pain, and misery. 

Which got me to thinking......what on earth am I feeding my body, and not just my body, what on earth am I feeding my children?   Fighting the urge to eat an entire box of peanut butter crackers, I decided to do a little light reading and downloaded a copy of Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food.  As Americans, we worry more about what we eat and how many Omega-3's we're consuming than any other culture on the planet, yet our waistlines are expanding at record rates.  How depressing to learn that we are becoming a generation not expected to outlive our parents' generation!  We believe that Fruit Loops injected with whole grains or whatever other buzzword the media heaps onto our processed plates is healthier than a serving of spinach and squash.  For the first time in my life, I began to think seriously about what chemicals I was feeding my family.

7, it seems, is about discomfort, and beyond the obvious physical discomfort, I also stepped out of my own comfort zone.  I shopped in an organic grocery store for the first time and felt as if I had entered an alternate universe, where everyone knew my secret:  I have no idea how to navigate this place.  Yes, I was the lady wandering aimlessly in circles trying to find organic sweet potatoes.  I began to think about how my food made it from the garden to the aisles of Publix.  How many miles?  What percent of the profit did the rice farmers receive?  I discovered free trade web sites that provide not only food but also fair wages and real opportunity for the materially impoverished.  My husband and I are even talking about planting a garden!  7 is forcing me to burst my safe little bubble and peer into the real world beyond the majestic shores of the United States.  And....I love it! 

You see, 7 is teaching me so much about my relationship not only with God but also with the world and my responsibility to see those outside my sweet little circle as Christ sees them:  with love.  He's teaching me to actually see them to understand that it is no longer acceptable to pass by and ignore them.

Throughout this process, I craved foods I loved but had declared off limits.  When my stomach growled instead of reaching for a quick fix snack, I waited until the next meal.  I felt discomfort, and I was reminded of those who have no choice, who live with the discomfort of real hunger, not the spoiled American girl who decided she could only eat 10 (yeah, another cheat) wholesome, filling foods.  I allowed myself to visualize those who sit in the slums of India and long for anything to offer their children and I prayed for them.  I cried for them.   Annie and I even researched several countries in an attempt to understand what they eat and to learn more about the impoverished of this world because I don't want her to ever ignore the least of these. 

We spend so much time working long hours to desperately provide our children the best of everything, but by their birthright, our children already have the best of everything.  We sit in an ivory tower doing whatever we can to protect our children from a scraped knee much less a heart that breaks for the least.  I'm learning that I can no longer reconcile Christ and the world to merge my American dream with my faith to compartmentalize obedience to Jesus into a safe little box.  Yes, Lord, send me, as long as they have indoor plumbing, sweet tea, and hot showers.  Don't discomfort me. 

I realize I can't save the world, but if my family and I can step out in radical obedience, the kind Jesus expects, and follow his commands to assist wherever we are called, even if it's down the street, then our small acts of obedience could result in big results for the kingdom.  Jesus tells us in John we'll face trouble, persecution even.  Ask yourself, "Have I ever been ostracized, ridiculed, or even discomforted by my walk with Christ?"  Not fitting into a size eight jeans does not qualify as hardship.  Being called a "Jesus freak" is not persecution.  7 is teaching me that I've been living just like everyone else.  My life isn't looking radically different because of my walk with Christ......and it should.  What am I afraid of?  Looking weird?  Clearly, weird is the least of my worries.  My two favorite shows are Duck Dynasty and Downton Abbey....I homeschool my children.....people, I am weird. 

I said in a previous post how those in scripture fasted to prepare for a movement of God in their lives.  I am beside myself with anticipation and excitement because I feel God moving.  Last night, I sat in a meeting at my church about changes our denomination is making in the way of evangelism, and I felt like the authors of this new movement had read Interrupted, 7, and possibly, my mind.  I listened to discussion about evangelism and reaching beyond the church doors and meeting people where they are, I fought back tears of gratitude to God for allowing me to be part of this, for preparing my heart for where He is leading, and I began to see it.  I began to see the past few months falling into place.  Right now, I am shouting Hallelujah, our God is Mighty and Real and Powerful and He allows us to be the hands and feet of Jesus in a hurting world.  I can't accurately intimate in words right now how overwhelmed I am by the Spirit, but friends, He is here and He is working and to know the Holy Spirit began moving in me months ago, I began to understand how a fast serves to prepare.  What else is there to say but:  Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below, praise Him above Thee heavenly host, Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! 

Now on to the clothing part of 7.  I can't wait to see what God has in store....no pun intended.....

No comments: