Saturday, September 6, 2008

NCAAF Week 2

If style matters in college football, and apparently it does, then Ohio State deserves a drop in the polls. I mean, come on, if Georgia can drop from its number one perch without a loss shouldn't Ohio State fall for allowing Ohio University 145 rushing yards against its defense? In this season long chase for a make-believe college football championship, a bad day should equal a drop in rankings.

Seriously, my frustration with the BCS has led me to develop a bizarre rooting system of my own. For instance, I always pull for the SEC because I was reared on the SEC, I'm a southern girl, born and bred, and I love it. That being said, because I long for the ineptness of the BCS to be revealed more and more each year, hoping in vain that someone will come to their senses and create a playoff system that matters, I usually pull against ranked teams. Why? Sheepishly, I say, I think the pollsters are a wee bit clueless in many of their rankings and rather enjoy, perhaps too much, watching that be revealed. Unless of course it is a well-deserving ranking for an SEC team. Hey, I never said it made any sense. But, let's take the example of BYU vs. Washington, I didn't really no who to root for. BYU was ranked 8th, but I like the little PAC-10/SEC rivalry that seems to have developed, so I wasn't exactly wanting Washington to win.

The point is, with the current system, it just really doesn't matter except for end-of-season bragging rights, because truth be told, fans are left feeling empty when the national champion is nothing more than a "favorite" who had a good-enough season. Without losing one game or playing a "real" opponent, Georgia lost its number one postion because it never really "had" it to begin with. Pollsters just couldn't justify placing Ohio State number one after 2 BCS Bowl defeats in a row, or a USC who lost to Stanford the previous season. Georgia had been on an end-of-season roll and had handily defeated a highly touted Hawaii team. USC pounded UVA in week one of this season, so finally, a reason to jump Georgia.

Yes, I realize that in the grand scheme of things college football matters....not at all. It is thousands of kids doing what they love for adults who, let's face it, should really get a more productive hobby. But wouldn't it be nice to give those kids, all those teams that really deserve it, a real shot at a real National Championship?

No comments: