Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Doorknob Incident

Two seconds. That's it. I turned my back for two seconds and mischief ensues.

"Stand right here, Pumpkin. Mommy will be right back; I am going to go get my t-shirt."

I walk the three feet from the hallway to the bedroom, grab my t-shirt, and turn around just in time to hear the door slam. Panicked cries soon follow.

"A, what's wrong?" I run to the bathroom door, turn the knob to find it locked. "A! You've locked the door!"

She wails and beats frantically on the door. I hear my keys jingle. Apparently, she grabbed my keys from the purse and was going to try them out on the door. Doing what all good, calm moms would do, I run downstairs, grab the phone and call my husband.

"Hey," I say urgently.
"Can I call you back?"
"Sure, but A's locked herself in the bathroom, and I don't know what to do."

I hang up the phone and jiggle the doorknob. "Turn the thing in the middle, Punky."
"Mama!"
"Hold on, I'll be right back."

I run downstairs, praying all the way that I remembered to shut the closet door. I can just picture A covered head-to-toe in baby shampoo and lotion. I grab a flat-head screwdriver and run back up the stairs.

"Mommy's back, pumpkin." I say trying to console here, while I begin to disassemble the doorknob. The phone rings.

"Hello?"
"Honey, what are you doing?" T asks.
"I am taking apart the doorknob."
"Hold on," says Mr. Sensible. "Is there a hole in the center of the knob?"
"Yes. I've almost got the screws out, though."
"All you have to do is take a coat hanger, stick it in the hole, and turn. The door will unlock."
"Oh," I say. This from the woman who just the night before fell flat on her rear trying to take off her jeans and socks at the same time. "I've got it. It opened."

Anna runs into my arms and we embrace like long lost pals. "Are you all right?"
She hugs me and hands over my keys. Thankfully, the closet door is still shut, and the only thing covered are A's teary cheeks.

"Hey," I say to T. "Thank you. We're okay." I hang up the phone and start putting the doorknob back together. At least I now know how to unlock a door with no key!

All I can say is God bless my poor husband:)

1 comment:

Southern Cheesehead said...

wow...that describes almost to a tee what has happened at our house before...except with 2 boys locked in a room! It all ended up ok too, but it's a little scary for a while first...I'm glad everything was ok. Merry Christmas to you guys!