Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Super Scooper

There are many feats accomplished in motherhood. Giving birth naturally certainly comes to mind. Breastfeeding for 17 months. But today, I found myself strangely proud of one particular feat.

After ten minutes of listening to A whine, "side mama, side," while staring longingly out the back door, I gave in and took her outside to ride her toddler car in the cold. Two minutes of her little legs shoving her forward Fred Flintstone-style, and it was time for mom to push. For a change of scenery and a smoother surface, I decided to push her in the front yard. Plus it says to the neighbors, "See, we do leave the house in the wintertime. I am not a complete baby when it comes to cold."

After about thirty seconds of pushing, I noticed that my escape artist Golden Retriever, we'll lovingly call Dell-dini, had managed to deposit quite a bit of poop on her latest front yard rendevous. So, I stopped pushing A and asked her to come with me to the back so I could get the shovel, to which she agreeably replied, "No" and continued to stake her claim in the front. Knowing that the minute I turned my back, A and the car would be in the middle of the road, I pushed her to the back, grabbed the shovel, then pushed her with one hand back to the front.

Here comes the impressive part. I scooped the four piles of poop into the shovel, walked over to A, and without dropping one bit, pushed her with the other hand into the backyard, while balancing a full shovel. I successfully tossed Dell's gift into the woods and patted myself on the back. (I didn't really pat myself on the back.) Clean front yard. Happy Toddler! Super Mommy??! Apparently, it doesn't take much to make this stay-at-home mom excited, and as I write this, I realize I really should get out a little more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the little feats of heroism, the ones that might usually go unnoticed, that really keep the world from totally collapsing.

I'm proud of you.

I would've made the kid do it.

Russ

Anonymous said...

What's this about Jen on the Discovery channel making money out of a taxi in NYC???

NotRuss